Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Minecraft Rant

Wow. Okay. Let me just say 2011, for me, was a very difficult and emotional year. A series of events happened and made me stop and analyze what's going on. Ranging from terrible to great, I had a fairly bipolar year, unfortunately. Gaming wise I was incredibly obsessed with Call of Duty Black Ops both on Wii and mainly PS3. Or basically Call of Duty in general. From Modern Warfare 1 to Modern Warfare 2 to Black Ops I played them all. Mainly gaming on my PS3 in 2011, my Wii and other consoles were neglected, which was a first.

All of which was a nice change from Nintendo (and there is nothing wrong with change mind you). But there is one game, out of the hundreds I played in 2011, that stood amongst them all with it's unparalleled glory. Minecraft.
Don't jump Jimmy!

Minecraft is, by far, the most innovative game in 2011. Maybe even the most innovative game ever crafted. (Pun intended.) The game doesn't have a storyline, where a cookie cutter character briefly explains the world around you and the threat that's going to end existence. Rather, you're automatically placed into a world, with no tutorials, no rules, no limit. Of course you have to know the basics on how to live but beyond that it is YOUR game to play it as YOU intend.

Minecraft has two words that are combined within it's name: Mine and craft. Mining is a big part of it's formula and something you have to do the first second you're thrown into the game. You harvest many materials and mine many minerals. Without this you would have nothing for shelter and nothing to keep yourself safe.

Crafting is an enormous part of Minecraft. In fact, most people prefer to just make their own creations than do anything else within Minecraft's vastly open world. Since it's release I've seen hundreds of awesome creations such as: elegant mansions, Bender from Futurama, and I, myself, made the Minecraft logo.
Explore the world before you and survive, or parish.

Minecraft sure is cute, right? Wrong. Exploring caves is absolute nerve suicide. After witnessing the wrath of zombies and skeletons you want out. Every enemy spawns in the darkness. Wherever there is darkness (even if it's in your own home), they will come. Silent Hill and Resident Evil are pretty scary but I've never blatantly screamed bloody murder when playing a video game until Minecraft. Weird demonic noises from nowhere, enemy's faces in your face when knocking down a wall, or even surprise attacks from behind.

Internet sensation Creepers are a different story. They're just as frightening as the others, but more at the same time. Walking near these suicidal maniacs makes them explode. Explosions hurt you. A lot. Hearing a "sssssssssss" noise before you either are mortally wounded or killed, will make anyone who is playing this game scream. They can also destroy your house if you're not careful. Leaving your door unlocked and one comes in, have fun getting him out. He only wants a hug...

Minecraft's music is flawless. The records you can play with in the Alpha version nowadays aren't too great. But the old music is immensely charming and catchy. After a hard days work and you're returning home, the music starts to play and it naturally puts a smile on your face. The score is perfect, in my honest opinion.

Sure, the 8-bit graphics may put some off, but trust me: Minecraft is the most fun any gamer could ever have. Nonbelievers such as myself had the awesome sauce that is Minecraft shoved down their throat.

Makes sense, right?
I remember walking in as my older brother was playing this "awesome game" on the computer. Naturally I paid little to no attention to what he's bragging about. Nodding my head to his statements and exaggerations and how I "would love this game." At first glance this "game" looked like a flash game he downloaded for free or another terrible MMORPG bore. I tried to persuade him my K/D in Black Ops is more important than watching you play a silly, stupid flash game. It wasn't a silly, stupid flash game.

No, it wasn't even close to a flash game you could Google and play in real time. Took 10 minutes of him gushing on how awesome and fun this game is. He thoroughly explained everything and how fun it is. Easy to pick up and play. And after that I had to play it!

After making world after world trying to get it just right, I finally did. 200 hours later and multiple updates, I was finally done. I joined the Minecraft bandwagon when it was still in its BETA. Nowadays there has been a complete overhaul to every aspect of the game. Improving everything the BETA was doing wrong.


No comments: